I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Monday, March 07, 2005
Animation lover anyone?
Somehow till now, I feel I could have made a better animation expert rather than a journo. My reason for asserting this is my personal love for animation films.
Sounds kiddish? I always believe that every person has a child within him, whichever age he attains. Therefore, perhaps, Shakespeare spoke of old age as a "second childhood" of a person. Shakespeare presents a more pessimistic image of a man with brittle bones, ready to collapse in the grave. But my idea of childhood is more energetic, creative and one that speaks of maximum freedom for the mind and the heart.
I don't know how much you guys agree with me, but cartoons like 'Tom and Jerry' and animations like 'Lion King'appeal to the most basic emotions that a man can identify with. Pleasure and joy.I don't know about everyone, but till now I jump when I watch a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I laugh every time Tom ends up making a fool of himself and gets defeated by little Jerry.
Similar thing is with animations. Once again this is a subjective thought, but personally I feel that movies like Lion King, Alladin, The Road to El Dorado have an edge over real movies with real actors. Just imagine how do the animators make those figures move so meticulously so that they look as realistic! Whereas for a human actor its easy to follow directions and act.
I would have loved to make one such animation where all my imagination can follow its own dictate, without anyone to stop me and say, "rules are rules and you must follow them."

thanks very much for visiting my blog amrita and i see that you are quite new to the blog world.. a warm welcome here!

do keep posting & best wishes to your career!!  

_____________________

Thanks Chakra,thanx to you for visiting my blog. I found your articles quite interesting. And I find the entire concept of blogging quite fascinating  

_____________________

its creativity at its best. as you said, you have to be like a kid at heart to produce that kind of stuff. only those who enjoy things immensely can do such work.
All the best on ur efforts.  

_____________________

Thanx Sarayan for visiting my blog. I am glad to know that you are of the same opinion about animations like me. Thanks once again for your best wishes.  

_____________________

Have you seen "Emperor's new clothes"? Oh! you must. It is a wonderful movie and I have watched that nearly a dozen times. Brilliant dialogues and wonderful timing and sketches.
All the movies you mention are great, and yeah, T&J is a wonderful cartoon piece. Do you read Calvin & Hobbes? I think it is one of the best cartoon strips.
I would love to be one of those characters.
Discovery usually comes up with a documentary about the creation of such movies (Toy Story, Lion King, Brother Bear). Brilliant!  

_____________________

Hi Eroteme,
I haven't seen 'The Emperor's New Clothes' unfortunately but I have read the story all other kids. Its a fascinating story. Is the movie based on the story.And I too love Calvin and Hobbes, as it captures the very mindset of a person who is creative. Even I would love to be one of those characters, but the only exception is I would like to animate myself as well  

_____________________

No no. The animation and the original story have nothing in common. It is about a snobbish/spoilt prince who gets transformed into a Llama and how a commoner in his kingdom helps him out. Sounds very serious but is no way serious (if I were to summarise the Toy Story, it would sound serious too!! None of these animations live off their story line. It is mostly the dialogues and scenes). There are plenty of scenes where the dialogues and the expressions are so funny that they sound drab when I write about them...
Must watch. Actually here is a list of must watches (in no order):
Emperor's new clothes
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 1 & 2
Lion King
Beauty and the Beast (serious)
Aladdin (great music)
Pocahantas (serious)
Hunchback of Notrdame (semi-serious except the scenes with the griffins)
Brother Bear
Bugs (or was it Bug's life or Antz. Forgot that one. I liked it only for Woody Allen's dialogue delivery)

Actually any of Disney and Pixar's creations. Oh I forgot Ice World. I liked Shrek too, but again for the role of Donkey. Love stories and cartoons/animation don't go well together (IMHO).  

_____________________

Wow, I must say your list of animations is pretty impressive. I haven't seen half of these movies but I would love to if I get some free time. I loved Shrek, Beauty and the Beast, Disney's Cinderella, Lion King, Alladin, The Prince of Egypt and Anastasia. Thanks for an update on the story of The 'Emperor's New Clothes.'It sounds liker the tale of Buddha somewhat. only you can say if I am right.  

_____________________

Wow,Eroteme I must say your list of animations is pretty impressive. I haven't seen half of these movies but I would love to if I get some free time. I loved Shrek, Beauty and the Beast, Disney's Cinderella, Lion King, Alladin, The Prince of Egypt and Anastasia. Thanks for an update on the story of The 'Emperor's New Clothes.'It sounds liker the tale of Buddha somewhat. only you can say if I am right.  

_____________________

Buddha??? :-o

The last thing on my mind is Buddha when I watch an animation!!! Nope. Not much of Buddha in there. Some evil witch transforms the prince into a Llama and then he is thrown out of the palace. A commoner finds him and the Llama can speak. Oh! Now I get it. Llama as in quadruped llama, not Lama as in Dalai Lama (biped)!!

Visit this link for a picture of the Llama: http://www.merriam-webster.com/mw/art/llama.htm

:-)
I missed out El Dorado and Anastasia.
Have you noticed one thing? The eyes of most of the Disney and Pixar characters are large and beautiful.
I missed Tarzan too.  

_____________________

Hi Eroteme,
I agree, Disney characters have beautiful eyes. OK so you mean that llama? I will surely check out the link you mentioned. The emperor's new clothes sound interesting and I would definitely catch up with the movie sometime.  

_____________________

Post a Comment