I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
'Off to Neverland'-Part II
I felt as if my whole body has become very light and there was this strange, funny and tickling sensation in my tummy. All of a sudden, I felt as if as if I am falling from some great height. However, I did not feel scared, but a great sense of excitement and elation overcame me.

"Open your eyes now, miss," said Rain in a soft voice.

I opened my eyes and looked at Rain. Now I was able to see her much clearly, as I stood face to face to her. She really had a sweet little face and a pink complexion. Her eyes were light blue and lips were cherry coloured. She indeed looked like one of those fairies in the Disney movies.

"Miss, you look so pretty as a sprite," said Rain.

"Really Rain?" I asked and looked around for the small hand mirror I always kept on that table. It was near the pen stand. I looked at myself and a chuckle of delight escaped my mouth. I looked like a little sprite as well. I was dressed in turquoise and my wings were sparkling blue. One thing is for sure-these fairy-charms and enchantments make one look far more beautiful, than one really is. Though it is all short-lived, yet it is very pleasant.

"Miss, you really look like a little fairy," said Rain.

"Oh, thank you so much, Rain," I replied. I could not help feeling flattered and I must admit; I did sound a bit silly when I said that.

"So, ready for Neverland, miss," she asked.

"Yes," I replied, excited.

I had never imagined in my wildest dreams that someday I will have wings to fly. It felt very different from a 2.5-hour flight in an aircraft. When I was young, I always wondered how was it like to fly all on your own. Finally, my dream was coming true.

Rain showed me how to take a position before the flight. We spread our wings and stooped slightly from the windowsill. Then we pushed the ground with our legs and started to flap our wings. It was so thrilling. As we moved up in the sky, I managed to steal a look at my house, which appeared smaller and smaller every second. The night wind was soothing and refreshed us during the flight. I was behind Rain because she knew the way to Neverland; so, I had to follow her.

I do not know how long we flew, but I enjoyed every moment of it. As we approached closer to Neverland, Rain told me how to land on ground. All this sounds funny because one might think you do not have to land like a plane, when you have wings of your own. However, while flying, I actually understood how difficult it must be for birds when they fly for the first time.

Slowly, we started to move downwards and touched the ground again. I looked around and saw the place. The moon certainly appeared bigger here than in my world. The entire place was lit up with its light. It was so beautiful.

"How did you like flying miss?" asked Rain.

"Lovely Rain, it was wonderful and far more exciting than anything I have felt so far. Thank you so much," I replied.

"My pleasure miss; now, what do we call you?" her tone changed from a bashful to a more pragmatic one.

"Call me?" I asked, puzzled.

"Yes, miss. What is you name?" she asked.

I told her what they call me at my place. She shook her head in a disapproving manner and said, "That's a fine name miss. But if they hear that one here, then they might suspect you for a 'you know what'."

"Then what should I call myself?" I asked.

Rain had that thoughtful look on her face again and started scratching her head.

"How about calling you Earthy? You belong to the Earth?" asked Rain.

I could not digest that. "Just because I come from earth, it does not mean you have to call me that," I replied resentfully. Rain started to think again and then suddenly looked up at me with a smile.

"Umm..why don't we call you Bloom? It also goes with you blue colour, doesn't it?" asked Rain.

At first, her suggestion sounded very weird to me. But then, it sounded better than Earthy.

"Oh, all right. I am Bloom then," I said.

"And remember, if they ask where you are from, say that you come from the galaxy near Jupiter," said Rain.

"You are sure about that," I asked hesitantly.

"Trust me miss," she said. "Now come, time to see the great fairy carnival of Neverland," she added and led the way to me.

We walked into the forest where the moonlight flickered through the branches of the tall trees. Invigorating smells of wild flowers went in with my breath and rejuvenated me. It was so nice and peaceful.

"This is the eastern end of the forest miss, this road will lead us to the village," said Rain. As we moved ahead, a small settlement came into our view. They were small houses with square windows and brick chimneys. It all seemed very lively. We approached one of the houses, which Rain said was her house. However, I turned curious when Rain said that instead of entering the house from the front door, we would make our way through the back door.

"Why are we going in like this Rain?" I asked.

"Miss, don't you remember? I told you that I sneaked out to visit your world though aunt told me not to. We don't want to get caught, do we?" said Rain.

"Oh yes, now I remember. But isn't your aunt away for the err..carnival?" I asked.

"Maybe, But why take chances. You can never bet on what she would do. Now, do not make any noise and get in as quiet as you can," said Rain.

We got inside maintaining as much silence as possible. I was thrilled. Though I knew that it was not exactly polite manners to get into someone's house in this manner, I almost felt as if I am in some adventure movie. It was dark inside the house and nothing could be seen.

"Rain, Rain? Where are you?" I asked.

"Shhh..miss, no noise. I will get a light," whispered Rain.

In a few minutes, there was light in the room. I looked around and saw a little glass lamp that was shining. It had a strange greenish glow and in a way, it was very warm and cheerful. It was a small and tidy room with four tiny beds and a small shelf with some books. There was a small table at one corner, where this lamp was kept. A sweet aroma hung around the room.

"Here we are, this is our home miss, do you like it?" asked Rain.

"Oh its lovely, Rain," I said (Somehow, I could not help sounding silly in a 'fairy-talish' way. Guess the enchantment was working fine).

"And we made it back safely without letting aunt know about it, isn't that great?" asked Rain.

"No dear young lady, you did not quite make it 'safe'," said a strange and elderly voice.

We turned around, wordless. I looked at Rain. She had an expression of a thief, caught red-handed while stealing. I looked in front and saw a elderly female (also a sprite). She had a silver streak of hair in the front and her hair was tied into a tight and neat bun. She was wearing gold-rimmed spectacles and had a slightly fat nose and thin lips, which were tightly pressed now. Her eyes were a lot like Rain's.

"Aunt, aunt Neb..Nebula!" exclaimed Rain.

To be contd..

You write well Amrita,
thanks for dropping by my blog.
Will get you a list of some good books for sure.
Cheers.  

_____________________

thanks reva,

welcome to my blog. u sure have a good blog. i will b waiting for the list of books. cheers!  

_____________________

That's gr8 writin' skill...Waitin' for the next part..Try and make it sooner than this 1...
Happy Holi...
Take care,Luv
Brownstone  

_____________________

hi brownstone,

a very happy holi to you and all the other bloggers. already working on the next part, hopefully it will be up soon.  

_____________________

hey amrita,
What is the inspiration for "Off to Neverland"??
Is it the song by Metallica?? :))  

_____________________

Amrita,
a blog titled "The Thinker"...with Descartes' statement for a description on your profile...interesting...

I find fantasy interesting as it seems to offer human beings such a powerful means of making existence so much more palatable..lol
btw have you/do you read the Discworld novels...they are quite funny...

Thanks for dropping by my blog...

what happened to Ms.Bloom next?

SARVAM SRIKRISHNAARPANAMASTHU!  

_____________________

Life's teachin' me a lot..That's very true...Like ya said...
But the learnin' process is not the prob..
lack of self-confidence is something which stops me to tell myself..."ya know that...then what's the prob!!!"
Anyways...I hope that I flourish in at least 50% of I do....  

_____________________

hi brownstone,

good to see u back. i dont know of that song. it just occured to me, no inspiration as such.

Hi anand,

thanks for dropping by. was really glad to visit your blog, loads to learn there. yes, fantasy realm is not only an escape zone according to me but also a new ideas flourish. hmm, i am working on the next part of this post, u ll get to know soon about ms. bloom.

SARVAM SRIKRISHNAARPANAMASTHU! -i really liked this line, what does it mean?

dont worry brownstone, i guess it is one problem that all of us have to overcome ourselves. i used to be a laggard in most things some time back. but as i said before, life teaches everything. so don worry, its apassing phase, it will all b over.  

_____________________

HiAmrita, You have a wonderful imagination and sure know how to use it to write an interesting story. Keep up the good writing.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment you left there.  

_____________________

hi dotm, welcome to my blog, thanks for all those nice compliments. am glad u liked the story.  

_____________________

Amrita..

hi, nice to hear from you again..
you hv a great sence of story telling.....when I was redaing it, a songs come to my mind "bristi anasristi" by lateji..
though there is no similarity...great piece of story
roy  

_____________________

hi
you have really captured the essence of fantasy writing/fairy tales...
fairy tales are so very beautiful because they deal with things that can never happen, and in doing so, give so much for our imaginations to munch on, that the hang-over of reading a fairy tale is priceless!
where else can you fly!
cheers
kaushik  

_____________________

Cute tale. When i have kids, i wanna say this to them (any copyright issues? he he)  

_____________________

hi roy,

that was an interesting thought. i have not heard that song which u have mentioned, but seems u find music in almost everything. thats really artistic.

hi kaushik,

yes, i think that fairytales should be an essential part of our lives, coz they provide us with an outlet to escape from the mundane reality. it also rejunevates one's intellectual and creative thinking-this is what i think. thanks for dropping by.

hi manoj, that was really sweet of u. well, i have no copywright issues as of now. but now that u have reminded me...he he.  

_____________________

Amrita,
Sarvam SriKrishnaarpanamasthu means...
let everything be an offering unto Lord Krishna...let everything go to him...so to speak...

glad you liked it

SARVAM SRIKRISHNAARPANAMASTHU!  

_____________________

hi anand,

thanks for explaining those lines. it is much more meaningful now and it is really enlightening!  

_____________________

my dear amrita,
When is the next part comin'???
And I hope ya wont keep the readers of ur blog waitin' after the next release!!!! :))  

_____________________

Hola Amrita!
This story is progressing wonderfully... It's really, really a great work! I love it! :)  

_____________________

hi brownstone,

am writing the next part right now. but my computer is undergoing repairs. so i would just put up a notice-'inconvinience regretted'

thanks gonsings, that was really sweet of u!  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

Right, Copyright it, But i'll tell my kids the story and tell them not to say a word about it to anyone. he he. Coming to think of it, I realize only now. The best thing about blogs is that they are free :) (i mean free as in freedom and NOT as in free lunch)  

_____________________

that's right manoj, u get to read some of the best content in some blogs. i wonder what would have happened if these were paid blogs.  

_____________________

Hi,
The link I had posted earlier is not working.visit www.sulekha.com/blogs/helpguide/#a6

Cheers,
Kartik Kannan
Team Sulekha  

_____________________

Heii...

May this POILA BAISHAK brings somany sunshine in ur life u need sunglasses...
SHUVA NABA BARSHA..

natun barsha, so hope to sea a new post also...
Roy  

_____________________

hi Roy and all other bongs,

Thanks a lot for your wishes. Wish u all a very happy Poila Baishakh. SHUBHA NAVA BARSHA! as per ur wish, there is a new post now.  

_____________________

best  

_____________________

best  

_____________________

besrt  

_____________________

best  

_____________________

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Cat cobra car alarm Call centers job opening in the philippines  

_____________________

Post a Comment