I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Friday, June 10, 2005
I wish for…
Okay folks, this post is a kind of a preface (If I am allowed to call it one), after two of my ‘love’ stories, which I presume most of you found sensible enough. Ideally, this should come after my third story, on which I am working right now. But then, I thought that it is necessary to push this post ahead. The reasons for doing so-I shall discuss one by one as I move ahead with my post.

I was really flattered, when I saw so many comments on my stories. Meanwhile, it was not only the complimentary ones, which I am talking about. Some people revealed their critical outlook, for which I am thankful.

I guess the first story; ‘The Smile,’ deals not only with the idea of falling in love, but also with the theme of wish fulfillment. I guess falling in love with a person and a desire to receive love from them in return, is strongly related to this idea, which many of us nurture.

Its not only about falling in love, but the desire for wish fulfillment, that plays a major role in the formation of many of our emotions. It is concept, which we hear about right from our childhood, when we listen to fairytales, especially the Cinderella story. I do not know how many men such tales affect, but I am sure that girls certainly are affected. Sometimes it may rouse in us, a desire to do something, which we might have never dared to do before.

I can trace a recent example of one of my friend, whose name I will not reveal. Without embarrassing her too much, I would simply say that a meek, reserved and conservative person like her was not the exact image who would strike any of us, when we want to zero-in on some ideal, whom we would like to follow, when it come to the initiation of a amorous relationship.

But then she went ahead and made the first move, in her own dignified manner. The end result is yet to be seen. But since my first story was written before she decided to listen to her heart, I found a strange similarity between her attitude, and the dispositions of the lead females, in both my stories.

I remember some of the comments, where some of you asked that why haven’t the two characters been given more time to understand each other. One such comment, which I specially remember, was by Art, who actually asked that why were the characters not given enough time to understand each other, in the first story.

Another was by Virumandi in the second story, where he clearly refused to accept Anjali’s final step. Please do not misunderstand. I am not complaining, in fact, I genuinely enjoyed these comments, and liked answering them.

While concluding both these stories, I mainly thought about the kind of circumstances I have seen or heard from people. I would not say that I am a fatalist, as far as believing in success of love is concerned. But then, I simply wondered that how many of the real life love stories might actually reach that level, when we say, “…and they lived happily ever after!”

I got loads of comments, which surfaced around one concern. Whether the events I mentioned in the stories draw inspiration from my own life!

Hold your breath! I would say… yes and no. Certain events in the story are definitely reflective what I have seen or heard of. I also got comments on whether the girl in the first story is myself during the college years. I would simply say, that it doesn’t matter whether it was me or not.

What was important is that many people could relate to the character. I was really enthralled by comments like, “such things happened to me,” and the kind. So now finally I will move on to my next story, which will be published in a few days.

And before ending, if any of you have wondered over these two stories, that what could have inspired me to write such stories all of a sudden, I would only say that, well I am getting to see a lot of them around me. So, all the best to all those sneaking eyes, pulsating hearts and hesitant lovers. Hope your real life endings are in no way similar to my stories.

Changing times, changing mindset, evolving cultures...!

But one thing will never change. That is LOVE.

Its always interesting to read love stories, since most of us go thru all these in life.

Like you said we men think a little different, cinderella stories didn't arouse me. But I can see my daughters and wife who just love these stories.

I bet your readers are going to get a feast reading your stories.
I look forward to them as well.  

_____________________

Well i would say stories never end...
They might just be a few episodes or chapters of life, which we get to see...
So its better to just leave it at a point and let the readers do the thinking as to what might happen next...
Moreover we cant just say they lived happily ever after...
I always used to wonder even after watching movies as to what would happen next.... ofcourse later in life i realized that these were just imaginatory stories [or so i thought]...
Good Luck Amrita... with the new episodes and chapters of new and more characters in ur short stories :)
By the way what s the next story about???  

_____________________

Hi avinash...have some patience..it will be up soon. the only thing is that i am trying to squeeze in time for the story..office is getting hectic.

Hi narayanan! good to see u...yes u are right. Something are intangible and never change over the time. Love is definitely one of them. As far as cinderella stories are concerned, i too liked them during childhood, but as age caught up i grew pretty cycnical about them. Anyways, thanks for ur encouragement..i do not how many people read/like my stories. I will put itthis way that it was an experiment i was attempting, being a practical person myself. Just to see whether i can think like a romantic.


hi arathi..yeah u are right at some point in life u have to leave to your imagination..no one knows what future holds in store for us. I am glad u too think we cannot always say that "they lived happily ever after." About my next story..i would not reveal much now except for the fact that it is a love story again.But slightly different from the other two  

_____________________

I am sort of guilty of not visiting this blog very often as I used to do before. Looking at this post, think i hav missed a lot. In 2-3 days time, would visit each one of your post from where I left.

Have a good time Amrita.  

_____________________

haha chakra! its a pleasant surprise..don't feel guilty..i know u must be very busy with your newly acclaimed status..that of being a father! thanks a lot for coming. have great fun with Chakra junior. good luck, have fun!  

_____________________

hi Amrita ... just a thought! I do understand that in real life its not " ... happily ever after". But it sure is happy, maybe not ever after. Dont you think at the end of day, people must be happy. If they are not, then whats the point?

I am not saying stories always should have happy endings. But I can't accept that if a story does not end happily its bound to be a real one! Life has its own ups and downs! For instance, in the lines ... if Anjali being unhappy about her marriage life is the downside, how she handled it and came out of her own shell could be the upside!

I hope you do find time to write the next one ... me waiting!  

_____________________

Aha, gayatri i think u have a very valid point there...i also do not believe that sad endings make real life stories...u will find out soon. Whatever i have written so far is based on real-life experiences, (not necessarily mine).But yes, real life love stories could definitely have happy endings  

_____________________

Iloved ur love story.All iis good and nice in love stories.  

_____________________

Hi anjali, welcome to my blog, haha, u mean the love story i have written? thanks anyways  

_____________________

hope ur next story is up soon :)  

_____________________

hi art, u are already sounding dissapointed..it will be up as soon as i get time to finish it.

HI virumandi, thanks for the encouragement. hope u liked the previous ones  

_____________________

hola!
Just thought I'd stop by to say hello!

Hope you are not working too hard... and if you are, I hope you are enjoying it!
:)  

_____________________

hmm i am working..i will say pretty hard. not getting time to put up my next story which is nearing end.  

_____________________

first time to your blog.. a good read.. hope to come back for more..

keep rolling,
Cheers,
Nanyaar?  

_____________________

can i get more info?  

_____________________

Post a Comment