I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Communication gap
I do not know how many of you think that language can pose as a barrier in comprehension of thoughts between two people, say a Tamilian and a Gujarati. Or for that matter a Bengali and a Marathi? I am myself a Bengali, born in Gujarat, shifted to Kolkata at the age of 12 and right now in Madras, completing my course in Journalism.

I have already come face to face 3-4 languages in the process. Each language has a distinct essence and 'accent' of its own.When I was in Gujarat, in school we had to give this dictation test for Gujarati. Most of the students would hide the textbook under their desks and cheat throughout the exams. I shall not boast that I was a "good girl." When the test became unbearable I had to deviate from Gandhiji's preachings (as you all know, Gujarat is intrinsically connected to him) and follow the practice of my classmates.

My mother often tells me that when she was newly married and came to Gujarat with my father, where he was settled and was working, one major problem that she faced was the language. Interactions with the vegetable vendors were especially painful experience for the tongue.

My mother would ask for 1 kg potatoes and the vendor would keep asking whether she wants "ringan" ('brinjals' in Gujarati). One solution to the problem was to point out to the vegetable one wants to buy. But a shortlived solution as, when there is a crowd of customers, the seller does not have time to look at the person who is fingering towards a vegetable, just because he/she does not know what to call it in Gujarati.

However, several years down the line, when me and my mom both became sufficiently fluent with Gujarati, Dad decided to move on to Kolkata. I am a Bengali, but brought up more as a Gujju all my life. So when I got admitted to a school in Kolkata, the first hurdle I faced was that I had to master reading and writing Bengali, within six days of my admission.

Shock waves followed. My first semester was scheduled within six days of my admission. I somehow managed to read and write Bengali, only I remember how. After completing college in Kolkata I go selected for a journalism course in Chennai. Chennai was a completely different experience altogether.

Our college is more of a cosmopolitan sphere, where interactions between people is never thwarted because of language problems. The problem is with, you guessed it right, when you try to deal with the rick drivers.

I found myself at a loss of words when for the first time I communicated with an auto driver in Chennai. Having spoken languages with a Sanskritic base so far, my first encouter with a Dravidian language was a disaster. Over these ten months though I have somehow managed to handle a little bit of tamil as a language, I am still not an expert with it.

However, that does not stop me from liking the Tamilian rituals and customs. I like Tamil movie songs. Some of them are really melodious. I heard this instrumental piece by Illayaraja called 'How to name it,' which appealed to my senses in its own special way.

Thought the language part of it was missing in it but still it had a special appeal of its own. Music according to me is one such sphere which can connect people who cannot communicate to each other through words.I find communication works its best at music.

one prob u might find in chennai is that not many ppl wd converse in hindi unlike other big cities in india.. all thanks to the anti-hindi policies of the dravidian political parties.

i know some of my north indian colleagues who used to mug up sentences to ask "will this bus go to Adyar?" etc..

am sure it wd be a gud experience to be brought up in different cities.  

_____________________

Yes, Chakra, I agree,sometimes I have also felt anti- hindi waves in Chennai, still there are many people in this city whom I know are just like me.In the sense that,she too like me does not understand one word of hindi, being a tamilian. Still she enjoys hindi songs a lot.  

_____________________

thanks for dropping by... and i can understand ur travails with chennai rick drivers. heard from too many people...:)
And i agree that music connects people. thats the magic it has got. i think thats the reason carnatic music is so popular among tams though most of it is telugu based...  

_____________________

I am a Telugu guy who was born and brought up in Taminlnadu and now I am in Pune. So when I landed ehre for the first time, I couldn't understand a bit of marati. I can manage with Hindi. But as you said, these vegetable vendors will talk in Marati, so I will ask my friends about the names of the veggies in Marti and use it at an appropriate time. Still I feel it is so tough, even now I use to point fingers on the veggies :-). Funnnnnnyyyyyy experience.  

_____________________

I guess all of us have our individual experiences. Sriram, thanx for visiting my blog. I am glad you understand the kind of trouble i have with rick drivers.

REFLEX, I can perfectly corelate to what you said.Living in a city where your language is not understood can be a big problem sometimes.  

_____________________

Yup. Been there done that. :-)
In Bombay, nothin is Hindi. Its not much of Marathi too. Its Bombayya. I still remember how I used to call onions "Kaanda" in Lucknow and got the worst possible stare from the vendors. And potatoes as "Batata". When I came to Madras, I knew only few words to manage my way around. I still don't know how to read or write Tamil (and yeah, its my mother tongue). :-|
But that's the fun of travelling all over the place: getting lost consistantly!!
BTW, rick-drivers in Madras do not talk a language with a Dravidian base. Its base is yet to be determined!  

_____________________

Eroteme, I would like to say that your experiences with language are very similar to those of mine. Languages when used in poetry or prose sounds very good. But the actual trouble is when one has to use a language one does not know for daily purposes. Byways, I would be going to Mumbai soon so I would be facing marathi soon.  

_____________________

Marathi is fun. You can get away with Hindi in Bombay. Most importantly, do not show that you are new to that city!!
Few words that might help:
Nakko: No, nope, get away from me!
Kuttay: Where
Malaa Marathi ye'th naaheen: I really don't dig Marathi!! (actually it means that I do not know Marathi)
You already know what potato and onions are!! ;-)

Freak out in Bombay. How long are you there? I know a couple of Bongs there. Would you want company or are you there on a quick visit?  

_____________________

Thanx Eroteme for those quickies on Marathi- that would be really helpful in Mumbai. I am going to stay there for a considerable period I suppose, I am going there for a job.  

_____________________

A job? Cool. With which firm?
The Bong population is pretty scanty in Bombay.
I see that a comment of yours has been deleted on the other post!!
;-)
In case you need any help, Anu has my e-mail ID.  

_____________________

Thanx Eroteme, For your extended help. I am not sure about the scene in Mumbai.  

_____________________

Post a Comment