I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Friday, May 13, 2005
The tale of a city
Hi folks, if any of you have been wondering what kept me away from my blog for so long...then let me wipe off all your curiosity. Finally, I have landed in Mumbai, for those who do not know why; I have got a job in this city.
A week ago, when I landed on the airport my first concern was to see how the city was...moreover, I wanted to get that feel of being in this city.
Some people believe, Mumbai is this magical city full of life and colour! A city having some kind of magnetic quality.
Alas! I guess the pull of gravity is more stronger in my case, the magnetism of Mumbai (i.e, if it has any), did not succeed in attracting me. In fact I wondered what is so magnetic about this city?
When I was moving in a cab capturing the wide landscape of the city through my eyes, it appeared as normal to me or sometimes, even more crowded, suffocating and busy than my hometown, Kolkata.
My parents were also with me, mainly because they wanted to ensure that they could relieve me of one of the main problems which thousands of people face in this city...that of accomodation.
Having lived in Chennai for ten months before this, I can say that there is no place like home. So I did not expect much out of this city, where as it is, having a roof over one's head is a substantial problem!
But then more than a problem it is this sense of insecurity and confusion that plagued me when I was hunting for a place to stay in, in this city.
Brokers are one of the most common links to an accomodation, but they come with huge price tags."If you have to live in Mumbai, you cannot keep thinking about all these," I told myself.
Apartments seem to be the costliest of all..when you hear the rentals which are demanded of you, you almost wish that you owned a house of your own in Mumbai.
Come next- working women's hostels!Every hostel would hand over their prospectus to you which would specify the various rules and regulations of the place...fair enough. Now comes the turn of piles of certificates they demand from you.
At one place they wanted character certificates from at least three authoritative sources. I wondered whether the certificates are indeed a parameter to judge a person's nature...even you have those papers tucked away in your drawer..will it guarantee that the girl you are providing a room with shall not start smoking, drinking tomorrow?
If people have a normal timings, say a ten to five job...lucky you! Media guys like us cannot specify what time would we be back, so you need to have an addtional letter with you from your office. All these measures ensure the reputation of the hostel.
I wonder whether these people ever think that the girl who has to stay for late hours in the office and then return back to her hostel/ apartment at late hours in the night alone...herself feels so insecured?
Secondly, none of them would guarantee an accomodation..you will have to wait for atleast a month, and if there is vacancy, they would let you know.
Though people would argue Mumbai is one of the safest cities in india for women (some even say 'on earth'), I personally would say everything seems apparently good until you surf deeper waters.
Finally the broker took us to a pg accomodation. An old Sindhi lady, a widow, with no men in her house, who was ready to lend out a bed to me.
She spoke very warmly when we went to her place. Everything seems so nice, an ideal accomodation! But then when you question relatives and other hostels their immediate response would petrify you.
"See, if the person is not known to you, or is not a close relative..we advise you not to get her into a pg. I am saying this because we have had girls who have come here with tears in their eyes. These girls had been living in pg's before but they faced such horrible circumstances there that they had to run away!" said the warden of a reputed working women's hostel in Mumbai to me and my parents.
I got sleepless nights the first week when I arrived in this city! Fortunately for me, one of my cousin's knew the lady who gave out a room for pg, quite well.
So I moved in safely and am safe till now. But every night I wonder how many new women might have entered this city without a house of their own, plagued by similar fears, which haunted me a few weeks back!

So u r safe now. All set to Go and take up ur assignments. All the best.  

_____________________

Ooooooooooooh Weeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!

Madam's blog has a new look. Really neat. :-)

Dear A,
What can I say but :-) ?
Bombay is Bombay. It is not meant to be Switzerland. This is a city which lets anyone dream and then lets them achieve it. You want to be a monk: Bombay lets you. You want to be a businessman: Bombay lets you. No other city does that without being condescending about it. Here you will find people going about their jobs zealously and then queue up on Tuesdays at Siddhivinayak or on Fridays at Mahalkshmi temple. They live their lives the way they want to and to the fullest. Bombay is not for the person who wants this and maybe a dash of that and then... that too and then... no, no, not that, ok that too. People here are serious. They know what they clearly want and go for it. It could be a teacher or an actor or a finance analyst or a stock broker. They are all clear. And they know how to enjoy (trust me, you have the entire spectrum of entertainment open to you from the mild to the bizarre!!!)

I understand that you are new in the city and Bombay does overwhelm, but she will take care of you in some time. You can't love Bombay in a matter of few weeks. You have to live there long enough to know why so many people like us think that she is great. That's Bombay city for you.

ps: Mumbai is used on postcards and envelopes. She is still Bombay!  

_____________________

ah....one suggestion....carry a pen knife on u.....

yaaravathu bejaar panna...keesidalam !!  

_____________________

Hi reflex, thanks for your best wishes...we are on the learning up process now.

HI Eroteme, thanks for your comments on my blog template...I am catching up on the life in Mumbai. Yeah! true when u said that Mumbai is a city that allows us to remain the way we want to...but then there is also something very remote about this city. travelling takes a lot of time though...I haven't met the unsocial or for that matter the anti-social elements in the city as yet ..not that i wish to meet them! but just that..i guess for a guy it is far more easier to go around a big city than for a girl. Mumbai is ok..I guess it shall take some time to adjust to this city.

Hi Phobiac, oph! you have a pretty volatile and agrressive suggestion! I hope such circumstances do not crop up when I have to do such a thing..nevertheless, thanks a lot!  

_____________________

Amrita, I know what kind of tension peaks you had to go through, in your process of acco search and now that u r finely settled into a nice house with a software roomie who wakes up later than you..(;)), it is time to look ahead at other things like shopping, just going around eating and ofcourse what you (we;)) are here for.."Work!!"..Come, let's plan!! :))  

_____________________

Hi anu the initial phase of trouble has i think crossed..Yeah, I guess we will working full time soon...as far as shopping, eating out etc. goes I guess its a distant dream..my money seems to draining behindmy mobile connections! Anyways, thanks for the encouragement!  

_____________________

hey things would settle down soon...n u ve got a nice blog rollin here gurl..... u r in the same situation i was when i landed in cal almost a year ago..n now i luv the place... it doesnt take much to fit in ... Just a good bunch around u.... Im sure u have one too...
cheers,
anusha  

_____________________

its really sad to know this...that finding an acco in mumbhai, being a woman, is most difficult thing. dunno when there will be a crime free society.
take care and concentrate on other stuff, don't let negative thoughts get in ur way.  

_____________________

Bombay changed your color right away....!

And it looks good too.!!

As I went thru your blog all my memories of Bombay came back. I managed to get a 1 BR flat in Antop hill for rent after paying pagadi to the brokers (1984).

But you face special challenges being a girl.

I would advice you to be cautious though. I read an ariticle today in the Week magazine written by Shoba De and was disturbed a little.

Good luck Thinker.  

_____________________

Never been to Mumbai, but I guess anywhere one goes, the initial settling down takes some time.

Good luck with your new job!  

_____________________

HI anusha, welcome to my blog...I was elated to read

that u have settled in KOlkata..had i had my wish i

would have got transferred there as well...I am trying

to cope up with the city.it shall take some time but i

will get used to it i hope!

Hi Saranyan, i have acco now...not to worry..thanks for your best wishes I am trying and concentrating on my job right now...I guess no place is safe as a women except for one's home but then we have to move forward.

HI Narayanan, yeah my templates changes...felt the nee d for colours..black appeared too gloomy after landing in here..I am not romanticising though! Thanks for your good wishes.

HI gayathri, I guess u are right...it shall take some time to settle down at any place..i am trying to do that right now!  

_____________________

Hi Amrita,

Had been reading all ur blogs from past few days. They are really interesting. All the best for ur new life in Mumbai[Bombay].
But yes one thing on acco, this is a problem that we face when we go to any new place, be it big or small. But finally when settled u will surely feel happy that u have achieved something. Happy living... :)

-Arathi  

_____________________

Hi Arathi,welcome to my blog! Life in Mumbai without a proper acco is actually a bane..buts its ok. I guess it takes time to setlle down at a certain place.  

_____________________

And I thought getting a decent flat here in Barcelona was a challenge!
Girl, that sounded like a stressful arrival...
Glad you found a place to stay.
I suppose you'll catch up with the city "spirit" in a few more weeks.
Best of lucks in this new and demanding phase of your existence!
:)  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

Hi avinash, i guess u r right more than a city it is the people i value in a city..i guess a city takes some time to row on u..and siddhivinayak, that's one of the places i really liked here..i have been there twice. I also visited haji ali and mahalakshmi temple..very peacefull places. loved being there. i guess gradually i am catching on with the life here. hanks for ur best wishes anyways.  

_____________________

Hi bcool, thanks for dropping by.yeah i agree, lucky me...everything is fine for the time being..hope everything remains ok.  

_____________________

Post a Comment