I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Sunday, April 03, 2005
Apathy as it sets in...
Finally I am back, our site is ready and goes up on Monday. I am feeling much more relaxed today. But before I move on to the nicer things in life there one thing about which I would like to dedicate this post on - The apathy among administrative authorities in Chennai, and maybe elsewhere in the world.

I know, to most of you this topic about government and stuff might sound boring, but then this is one sector which crosses all our lives everyday.I realised the fact when I began to work with Anu on our investigative project (ip), which was based on libraries in Chennai.

Now before you start thinking that I have started whining a lot after my sickness, let me assure you I won't take long. But, yes I was not too well during the course of the IP and we had to go out in the sun everyday. On top of it, when people refuse to give information or show disinterest in the topic, you feel defeated.

I would give one example - we surveyed the Corporation school libraries in Chennai. In one of the schools where we went, the headmistress appeared to be some kind of prehistoric entity, in her most inert and lethargic state.

When we asked her whether her school had a library, she first frowned and looked at us as if she has heard the word for the first time in her life. Later, when she finally realised what we meant, she told us that they have a cupboard of books for a library. Very soon she got tired of our questions and called in the incharge of the 'cupboard of books' to speak to us.

The man does not know what to answer. So he restricted his answers to 'yes' and 'no'. For instance if asked..

Q-"sir, do you plan to expand your library?"
A -"Er..Yes, I guess so."
Q-"So, have you sent a proposal to the corporation for the expansion?"
A-"Yes,...er..wait..(asks the headmistress)yes, I guess we have."

The Corporation fellows are worse. Whenever you go to them for some information, they would look at you so suspiciously, as if your face resembles some criminal who is missing and whose posters are out there on street.

Or, they would simply direct you the person who is seated in the adjacent desk. This is nothing. The biggest turmoil for them is when you ask them about the funds invested behind the school libraries.One corporation guy who consented to speak to us asked us hundreds of questions before he finally answered our questions.

"Where are you from?" he asked.We handed him our letter from the college authorities which assured them that we are college students who just need some information for a college project. The man read the letter again and again,I don't know how many times, as if it were some secret encoded document, with a code which he is trying to reveal.

Finally he spoke, on a lot of requests (you cannot insist them unless you already have a job in a local daily) he divulged a minuscule bit about funds.

I hope I am not speculating, but it seems to a typical attitute with the government authorities in Tamil Nadu. The Jayalalitha effect - is it?

Dear Amrita:Since I started blogging late from feb 5 only and hence chanced to see Ur comment in Chakkara's.Welcome.I generally agree about the apathy and indifference of some people on Edu.Insts and govt but U cannot deride all of them.I was in charge of a Stagg Trng Instt at Chennai and on a number of occasoins I had recd the best of help and advice
from many to build up a lab & lib.
I had the opportunity to meet people like Ranganatan, the greatest Librarian and Kannan Dr of Egmore Museum who was a ready reckoner himself,Chandra of Ms.Univ
etc.Considering the fact that we have a poor documentation history in our country it would take some more time for a change in mind set
Any way do blog on all positive matters.All the best.
I also wiite in 2 more blogs one on Philosophy, mind etc and the other on Astrology and Numerology besides earlydays.blogspot.com
bodhimaram.blogspot.com
jothidam.blogspot.com.My son is indexing the list of Indian bloggers in his indibloggers.blogspot.com  

_____________________

helloooo... Welcome back to the blogging world... Tough weeks, the last ones you had (illness, ip, pigeons...)

Sorry to hear you are a bit
dissapointed about the lack of cooperation for your project, but believe me, in the communication/journo world, you will probably have plenty of opportunities to learn how to deal with that...

College credentials, though official, are rarely impressive...

Next time you should try introducing yourself directly as a some sort of media collaborator (student in practice, free-lance contributor... who knows...) People react a lot different when they think you already got the "power" to publish... You might look a bit young, but there are not that many who will really bother (or dare) to check on your version...
;)  

_____________________

Dear Kichami, welcome to my blog, I am not deriding all the people in authoritative positions all together, I am speaking about the general picture, and the way most of the times things are, to be very frank i was wrong when I said its only Tamil Nadu which has this kind of an attitute, In west-bengal too such elements exist. However, I am glad to know about your actions as a in charge of a Stagg Trng Instt. We need more people like you sir, in order to improve the situation.  

_____________________

Hi Gonsings, thanks for welcoming me back. All the tough weeks are finally coming to an end. Byways, you have raised a very relevant point, you know what? Our faculty told us the same thing which you said in your comment. That once we actually become journalists they might not treat us the way they did now. And yes, you are right college letters appear mere papers to these guys.  

_____________________

Hi Amrita

To add to Gonsing's suggestion, call yourself as the reporter from the online news site - "The Thinker". Many will fall for it. Still have a camera slung on your shoulders. Trust me people go to any extent for a chance to have their snap in any medium. I learnt this only after I turned to Photography as a hobby.

Meanwhile instead of you going around to all the libraries, why dont you distribute it. Make an appeal in the blog itself. Let the regular readers get the survey done from one school/college nearest to them. You can then collate and do the analysis.

I am not too sure as to how mant regular visiors, you have. But I think it is possible to implement it.

- Dheepak Ra  

_____________________

hi baejaar, your point is relevant but now I need not go on distributing my work, mainly because its over. Another thing is things like IP which require personal investigation. Others might be be able to help to an extent but the major work has to be done on our own.  

_____________________

Post a Comment