I think, therefore, I am.

Previous Posts

Archives

Links


Powered for Blogger
by Blogger templates

the Thinker

Sunday, April 03, 2005
Life's feast...which i missed!
Okay so enough of whining, now time for some good things to come. I am sorry for making another reference to my illness, but can you guys name one thing whichyou all missed whenever you have fallen ill? For me it is food, the food that I love.

If you hear my list of favorites you shall frown saying, "thats junk!" (Well, atleast those of you who are health conscious). But, I got reminded of those warm cheesy pizzas at Spencers, and that nice chocolate plugged Cornetto in the stores.

Bengalis have this lust for fishes like 'Hilsa', 'Rohu' and 'Chingri' (prawns). When cooked with mustard paste and spices it tastes like heaven on earth. Besides there are other favorites of mine as well, pomfret covered dipped in egg paste and finely covered bread crumbs- fried, yumm!!

Guess what? I think I am feeling homesick. My mom cooks all this stuff too well. So I am just waiting to reach home. And yes, I miss her palak paneer as well, the thick rich luscious green gravy with white and fresh pieces of paneer which melts into your mouth, as soon as, you eat it.

In case you guys are wondering I am a glutton..well, let me tell you that staying away from home-made food for ten months would make one out of anyone. We have this 'Bong' pattern of eating ... hot steamy rice with a spoon of white mustard paste and a little bit of oil in it...tastes yum!

Then ofcourse when my mom cooks that mutton curry of hers, red and thick in colour with a spell-binding aroma, I simply feel tempted. All this and more...I am already missing Kolkata.

"We have this 'Bong' pattern of eating ...hot steamy rice with a spoon of white mustard paste and a little bit of oil"

Remember trying that at Kennilworth. Though they had some other name for that(sorry I have a weak memory)

And now that you have recovered, its time for you to hit the restaurant. I m sure there must be some decent authentic bengali restaurant in chennai.  

_____________________

Hi Baejaar, there might be restuarants around here which serve bong cuisine, I also had food in one of them but sorry to say, actual kolkata food is unmatched  

_____________________

Just read your snappy answer to the silly question on your profile. Very funny, indeed. Thanks for coming by. Try not to miss Cal so much. There's plenty of great eateries in Chennai. Enjoy while you can.  

_____________________

There is a bengali restaurant by the name Annapoorna, in Egmore. Try it out. I must warn you though, it is not the cleanest of restaurants.

Karthik  

_____________________

Hi Ammani, thanks for visiting my blog.I am trying to. but sonce the day of my homegoing is coming nearer i can't wait  

_____________________

Hi Ammani, thanks for visiting my blog.I am trying to. but since the day of my homegoing is coming nearer i can't wait  

_____________________

Dear Amrita:I understand your frustration during illness.Food is the culprit though is also a life giver.Ii is in what and when you eat that counts.
The taboo on eating, the vexation of the patient for food,are all protective gears for early recovery
As for fish especillay Hilsa whch enters fresh water for breeding,(EX)Hilsa ilisha in Godavari,Rohu and mrighal of Bengal are all very healthy foods unlike meat,beef and chicken.All the best(Partha krish)  

_____________________

hmmm, that reminds me of my mom's cooking...  

_____________________

Next I will try Bengali food if possible here.  

_____________________

Amrita, You are killing us ....thinker.!! Who doesn't like Mom's food (sshhhh.....my wife is listening..!! )

Pizza at spencers! Cornetto.Icecream..Umm..I think its a generation gap..!! I have accept that I am old..!!

Pardon me, but I like the food in saravana bhavan, tiffon at the Kai endhi bhavan near Brilliant tutorials, mambalam.!!..

Of couse all those North Indian dishes...( No good hotels while I was there) I get to eat here....and last but not least..

South Indian...Vethal kuzhambu, thayir sadam, Narthangai..!!! Sutta appalam..!!

And of course the famous Rasagollas from Calcutta.


Thinker ...You asked for it.!!!  

_____________________

Hi Amrita,

THanks for visitng my blog. "Oh Calcutta" is all I can say :)  

_____________________

Hi karthik, I wish you had visited my blog earlier and told me about that Bong restuarant earlier. Anyways, now our course is coming to an end and we are loaded with assignments, not sure whether there is time for the Egmore restuarant.Thanks anyways.  

_____________________

Dear Kichami, its a very wise thought that you have expressed, but denial of food during illness though a precaution also is something of a deprivation.As far as, Ilish goes I am dying to lay my hands on it once I reach home.

Hi Saranyan, Mom's may scold us or anything but their cooking is always the best.Isn't it?

Hi Reflex, try out Bong cuisine in some Bong friend's home, I am sure it shall be lot better than a hotel food.

Hi Narayanan, how are you? Don't worry if you are young at heart, age does not matter as far as food goes. Hmm, all those South Indian items you mentioned, gotta check them out,I have been at Sarvanna, I like the Panneer Dosa there.

Hi Ranj, Thanks for visiting my blog as well, have you ever been to kolkata? byways, you have beautiful poetry on your blog.  

_____________________

Married sad women - is that a recurring theme in my stories? Good observation, Amrita. I suppose it is. I write about thing I've heard, seen and sensed. Explains why I'm not very good at humour ;)
Cheers
-ammani
http://jikku.blogspot.com  

_____________________

Bengali's love sea food dont they ?

We have tiffin like idli, dosa and stuff what do bengali's have as their breakfast ?

When it comes to food i become inquisitive :)  

_____________________

Home-made cooking... That wonderful treasure that many just learn to admire once they have missed it...

Glad you soon will have the chance to try Mom's dishes again...

Just reading on your post and the comments here have started me an appetite... Not that many indian restaurants here in Spain and I am not really sure how representative could they be, considering the vast extension and the enormous diversity of India... My stomach is a curious one and will welcome anything you post related with your cuisine...

Hope that your health recovers with appropiate and delicious food....;)  

_____________________

Hi Amrita, THanks :) Yes I've been to Kolkata twice. First trip was 8 yrs ago, and the last trip was for 2 weeks in Dec 2004. I am in love with Kolkata, to say the very least!  

_____________________

Hi guys,

Hi Ammani, Well it was just a guess that the topic you write is women, but does not mean you lack humour. that grandmother sighing at the granddaughter's silhoutte figure in a swimsuit was indeed funny. So, Keep it up.

Hi Kay, I don't know about all Bong families, but in our home we make rotis in the morning and with that we serve fried brinjal pieces (ref to as 'Begun bhaja'). Sometimes mom also makes upma, poha. You see our family is quite omnivorous.

Hi Gonsings, I did not know you had a liking for Indian food. I have no idea how Indian restuarants in abroad are. Bt my personal belief is that homemade food is anyday good than hotel. Thanks for your good wishes anyways, I am simply waiting to reach home.

Hi ranj, I am glad to know that you liked Kolkata. it is a city that naturally grows on one.  

_____________________

Mom's food is heaven.. its as simple as that.  

_____________________

Dear Amritaji:One of the major reasons for obessity is the food and the motivator is the tongue. My te4acher told me way back in 1945, not to go by my tongue but to go by my stomache.I have followed it for 60 years and here I am, slim,wiry and reasonably healthy too!
Chakkara sampath is right! Mom's food is heaven-only my mom went to heaven early.All the best.P.K  

_____________________

You sure know how to make my mouth water!! Although I never tasted non-veg food.
I love that recipe of yours where the fish is doused in mustard/turmeric paste and then wrapped in banana leaf and steamed. I tried it with raw banana. Neat!! :-)
I suppose your mom is coming down now, so you should have a good time. Enjoy. Do save up some of the rosagullas for me! :-(
I thought you weren't blogging and hadn't come by for quite some time...  

_____________________

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

_____________________

Ok i have seen this "Bong" culture in my hostel, the bengali guys here are just mad about fish.Every now and then, they have this 'fish' night where they bring in fish from market and cook and eat on the terrace.They have all the essential crockery needed,including a pressure cooker!!!  

_____________________

Nothing to beat home cooked food, especially by your mom.  

_____________________

I love trying food from different places... And if I've got the time, a recipe and all the required ingredients (sometimes that's the hardest part to find), I even enjoy more giving it "my own" try at the kitchen... See if you can sneak a look into your mom's cookbook and post something about it... ;)  

_____________________

Hi guys, sorry I was busy packing. I am leaving tomorrow for kolkata. So was busy packing.... i would start blogging again when I reach Kolkata. Our ten month course have come to an end.

Gonsings, twin-gemini and Chakra - you guys are right - nothing and absolutely nothing can beat mom's food anywhere. Three cheers to all our moms.

Hello kichami,
Yes, obesity is one fear when you are in love with food. Its good that you could follow your instincts and control your food habits. I also believe in good exercise. So eat well and work it out. But do not stop eating.

Hi Eroteme,
How are you? I am back to blogging, I know Anu told me that you love food. I am glad that made your mouth water. I am myself a foodie and love to eat. but then I also have to check my weight. anyways. I am leaving for kolkata tomorrow. will start blogging their again  

_____________________

Hi Anubhav, that was interesting to hear. Bongs are food lovers and yes their craving for fish is uncomparable. But you will be surprised to know- I myself was not such a fervent fish lover earlier. Now I am no exception to the rest of the bongs.  

_____________________

Hi again gonsings, Lets see I will try and post one of the easier dishes on my blog, and yes make sure you get all the ingredients  

_____________________

Post a Comment